Monday, September 5, 2011

Rice Pudding

Whenever I try something new in the kitchen I always end up respecting my mother a whole bunch more.

This evening's attempt was rice pudding.
The proper nice kind of rice pudding my mum made when we were little - with rose water in it.

Rose water is readily available here in Nepal, and I bought rice the first week I was here thinking "that's a sensible staple food to purchase" and hadn't actually used any...
It was an obvious thing to attempt to make.

I emailed my ma asking her for the recipe.
She gave me 2 different ones with various different forms of measurement.
This did cause much of the confusion and google searches for "how many ounces in a cup" and "how many cups in a pint"
But sense and measurement and reason are always trumped in the kitchen by rash decisions to just add a wee bit more, anyway...

Disaster number one was boiling the milk over the edge of the pan in a somewhat dramatic fashion.
(You need to boil milk in Nepal...or buy UHT...or get ill)
Disaster number two was the electricity going off just before it was time to put it in the oven.
It's an electric oven.

But disasters were dealt with and cleaned up.

And so we had rice pudding after our Bible study this evening.
(Good stuff, by the way - learning new things from Bible stories you've heard so many times before is always an eye-opener and a reminder of the good things God wants to teach us!)

It wasn't quite like how mum's used to be, but it was tasty!

Kitchen success.

No comments:

Post a Comment