Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Multi-tasking

On Monday night, while I was getting carried away and writing 3 blog posts in a row, I was chatting to my dad on Skype.
After my blog splurge, I told my dad about the new posts and asked if he'd check them for me.
(That's what my dad does* - he checks the stuff I write...unless I've left an essay until the night before and haven't left enough time to ask him to check it. A regular occurrence...)

He asked when I'd written them.
I said, "Just now, while we've been talking"
He asked how I'd done that.
I said, "multi-tasking"

But I had an even more impressive multi-tasking moment last week...

For the past couple of weeks I've been covering all the primary music classes at KISC whilst the primary music teacher was away.
This has been lots of fun. It meant I got to know the younger kids in the school and, let's face it, singing songs with little kids produces some seriously cute moments - especially when actions are added!

It did, however, make for a somewhat busy timetable. I still had all the secondary music classes to prep and teach, several science classes to prep and teach, and several science classes to TA in.

The timings of the school day are well worked out to prevent the primary and secondary kids having break or lunch at the same time.
(Some of the year 1s would get squished, I'm sure...)
And so this meant that primary music is often timetabled during the secondary lunch.

So basically I was very busy for a while, dashing around and having very short lunch breaks.

Last week, one period just before lunch, I had Year 11.
During this period the principal came up to see me, and we discussed something to do with the junior classes - probably assessment or something teachery like that.
And I was going to be teaching during lunch, so had collected my lunch to eat during this period, too.

So I ate lunch, had a meeting with the principal, and taught a class.
All at the same time.

To be fair, there was only 1 pupil in the Year 11 class (the other half - yes, half - of the class was off).
And he was just working on some composing.

But still.
It sounds impressive.


*My dad does more than this with his life. He is also an excellent minister. Which involves more than just the Sunday gig. Just sayin'

1 comment:

  1. I disagree with this post...I think it is more impressive that you wrote a blog splurge at the same time as chatting to dad! Cos your blog posts are AWESOME - I thought they would need your full attention and great time and care over them. The fact that you just roll these things out, I have to admit, is proof of you ultimate coolness.

    ReplyDelete