Friday, August 5, 2011

The People of Nepal

I feel that 11 days in the country may seem a little premature for a post such as this, but I have researched extensively and base today's conclusions on a wide sample of people.
Namely 32 or 33 (we lost count...several came in late) primary school teachers from English-medium schools in Kathmandu Valley.
And here are my conclusions:

Nepali people are lovely.
Fact.

They were all so friendly and smiley and lovely!

I had a fascinating day getting to see Christine run a training for Nepali teachers.
They made cats masks out of paper plates, and played pin-the-tail-on-the-horse and learned how to teach English to very small children.

They also humoured my very basic attempts at Nepali!

And 2 ladies assured me that I MUST go and see Pokhara while I am here.
I told them I would be teaching from next week, so I won't have time, because I leave straight after term finishes.
Their reply?
"You're a volunteer. Just tell the school you're going to take a week off to go to Pokhara. Give them advance warning, you know, a couple of weeks."
Ha.
I told them I'll just have to come back for longer next time...

Oh, and further evidence of the loveliness of Nepali people was getting to meet Christine's publishers.
The man was very kind, gave me yummy mango juice (because I still don't drink tea or coffee...) and arranged a taxi to take us back to school so we'd get it cheaper (because a Nepali arranging it will be charged less than a Bideshi (foreigner))

So there you have it.
Some proper generalising of a nation.
Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment