Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Teaching

Today is day two of teaching at KISC.

It's official.
I love it.

What more could you ask for in a job, than hanging out with young people and making music?
(With the odd bit of theoretical teaching, too, but I also love explaining stuff, so it's all good.)

I've met most of the kids I'll be teaching, now, and I've not been put off which is a good sign!
No, but really, they're lovely.

With one of my classes I'm doing some 1950s Rock'n'Roll music - it's good fun!
After showing them a video of Elvis one pupil's comment was: "That's weird. Almost as weird as Lady Gaga"!

The best part in all of this is that I'm getting to meet my classes as my classes.
Not coming in as a student teaching someone else's classes, but getting to do the welcome-to-music beginning bit with a class and really having time to build relationships with these kids.

My older classes are tiny.
Just 3 pupils in Year 10 and 2 in Year 11.
I made them all answer the question "if you could be a combination of any 3 animals what would you be and why?" as a bit of an icebreaker.
After the initial "you actually want us to answer this question?!" I got some properly deep answers from them!
One said "an eagle because it's proud, a lion because it's strong and brave and a bear" (I have forgotten the reason for the bear, but it was deep, too)

Anyway.
Teaching = Good times, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment