Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stories

There are some people in this world who were born to tell stories.

The lady I had dinner with last night (who is also the reason I'm here in Nepal) is one of these people.

The best part is that all the stories she tells are about her own life.
She has such an incredible background, and she tells it with such intricate detail.
When she talks about the places she’s been, and the people she’s known and the things she’s done, you really feel the emotions she felt.

She never just refers to someone in passing, but names each one. She remembers the names of the people she went to school with fifty-odd years ago!
And when she talks about the places where things happened, she can tell you the layout of the room – from when she was 5 years old!

The capacity of her mind amazes me.

I am pretty much all-out inspired by this lady. Even just spending a little while talking to her in passing I come away inspired to work harder.

And just to look at her, you would never guess what lies behind.


On Sunday, at church, the preacher was speaking about judging other people.
Or more to the point, not judging them.

Everyone has stories to tell.
Some people might not captivate an audience, or be willing to share what has happened in their past, but they’ll have experienced things we don’t know about.

This fascinates me about all the people of Nepal.

They’ve grown up and learned to live in a culture so completely unknown to me.
One of my Nepali language teachers told us she was married by arrangement.
That’s the type of thing we only ever read about at home!
 
Stories...people...
Aren’t they fascinating…?

1 comment:

  1. Should have asked me about how my parents met and got married - not just in stories Penrah! I loooove your blog :D

    ReplyDelete