Saturday, August 20, 2011

When you Need Somebody

Sometimes days contain too much whelm.

Now don't get me wrong, I am still full out loving it here, but yesterday I was feeling a little overwhelmed.

A combination of teaching a not-so-great lesson (I'm not dwelling on it, Auntie Beth, I'm just mentioning it, s'all....), a plethora of potentially broken keyboards but too many dodgey plug sockets to be able to really work out if they're broken or not, a desk piled high with work and the feeling of sheer exhaustion that a week of full-time teaching brings.

I was on my way to do some photocopying when someone reminded me about part of LOP (the language and orientation programme) that I was supposed to be going to from 3-4pm, adding to my list of things to do.

In the photocopying room the principal (/head of arts faculty) tried to talk to me about the keyboard situation, but soon realised I was in no fit state to hold a conversation.

Then Whitney arrived.

Whitney is from the USA and is here to teach ESL in the Primary for the year. She arrived in Kathmandu about a week before me, and lives in the other Guest House, which is just round the corner from the one I'm living in.
You can read more about her experiences of Kathmandu here: http://whitney-leigh.blogspot.com/
She is super friendly.

She apologised lots for hassling me, and offered to do what she could to help me, brought me some chiya (Nepali tea), wrote out my photocopying request for me while I continued to wrestle with the photocopier and came back up to my room with me to keep me company while I finished off my last few jobs of the day (this is extra impressive since my classroom is on the 4th floor...!).
She was fab.

Sometimes, when you don't even realise you need someone, God sends someone just in time.

Imminent flake-out averted.


No comments:

Post a Comment