Friday, August 26, 2011

Scottish Accents

Or more specifically: my accent.

I get mocked a fair bit by my friends (this is at home, so I can't really blame this on the Scottish accent) for the way I say some of my suffixes.
'ed' or 'es' on the end of a word the way I say it sounds more like there's an 'ies' or 'ied'

Example:
(Scene: at beach mission, at the end of a session)
Me to my group of girls: "can I have all your badges in, please?"
Girls: "What's a badgie?"

So when teaching year 5 about rounds and asking them to count the number of voices (sounds: voicies), there was a fair amoung of giggling.
Which I would understand, but their class teacher has a strong Northern Irish accent!
Surely they're used to people talking funny by now!

But teaching years 1 and 2 made it all okay again.
I taught them the Loch Ness Monster Song.
Cutest. Thing. Ever.
They all sang with little copied Scottish accents.
And I made them practise their 'ccchhh' at the end of loch so it sounded authentic.

Hopefully I will capture this magnificent display on video at some point, because the actions are also awesome.

Going up and down and up and down and up and down some more...

No comments:

Post a Comment